4 weeks / 6 hours per week
About This Course
It reviews all of the substantive material that is usually taught in the second semester in Western civilization. Our goal as creators of this course is to prepare you to pass the College Board's CLEP examination and obtain college credit for free.
Through the guidance of Dr. Robert Clemm, professor of History at Grove City College, this course will cover European history from the mid-seventeenth century through the post-Second World War period, including political, economic, and cultural developments such as scientific thought, the Enlightenment, the French and Industrial Revolutions, and the First and Second World Wars.
“Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present" is a completely self-paced course. It has no prerequisites and it is offered entirely for free.
How is this course organized?
This course is organized into twelve major modules that contain short video lessons, exercises and reading.
All of the course material has been released at once so you can complete it anytime.
What do I need to pass the CLEP exam?
You need to demonstrate ability to identify the causes and effects of major historical events and reach conclusions on the basis of facts.
The exam contains approximately 120 questions to be answered in 90 minutes. Please examine our syllabus.
How does this course differ from other CLEP textbooks and traditional courses?
This online course includes a carefully structured series of video lectures, exercises, readings and interactive resources taught by a top quality university professor.
Navigating Through Our Platform
1. Absolutism and Constitutionalism, 1648-1715
2. Competition for Empire and Economic Expansion
3. The Scientific View of the World
4. Period of Enlightenment
5. Revolution and Napoleonic Europe
6. The Industrial Revolution
7. Political and Cultural Developments, 1815-1848
8. Politics and Diplomacy in the Age of Nationalism, 1850-1914
9. Economy, Culture and Imperialism, 1850-1914
10. The First World War and the Russian Revolution
11. Europe Between the Wars, The Great Depression
12. The Second World War and Contemporary Europe
Sample CLEP Questions
Questions 1 - 15
Questions 16 - 30
Questions 31 - 45
Questions 46 - 60
Questions 61 - 75
Questions 76 - 90
How Your Score Is Computed